Click Here For Most Helpful Customer Reviews >>
I have read the other reviews and agree with some. I myself have been in IT for 30 years and this is my second Lenovo. I find the machine to be top quality and a tough, all around great laptop with a solid feel. I agree, the camera sucks and am surprised that Lenovo allowed such poor quality considering everything else about it is top notch. The keyboard has a great tactile feel and one of the best compared to other laptops I have used. I have typed on many laptops and the keyboard constantly causes typing errors this one does not. I especially like the keyboard backlight and was surprised by the added feature of having a light at the top of the screen that can light the keyboard as well! The matte finish reduces fingerprints and is easy to keep clean. I also like the matte finish screen that truly reduces the glare that I hate from those shiny/glossy screens. The WiFi setup perfectly first time for me. The laptop worked perfectly as expected right out of the box. One person complained about a terrible noise when mounting/un-mounting the laptop in the docking station. I also purchased the Lenovo 3.0 docking station and hear absolutely no such noise. I bought the laptop with the 320gb hard drive and swapped it out with a Samsung 500gb SSD. The machine was super fast with the HDD but now even faster with the SSD and Lenovo made it easy to do. My only disappointment is that it will not display 2560x1600 (30" screen) even though I had purchased the upgraded video card K2000M because the Lenovo tech assured me that would work. It does not it did a max resolution of 1920x1200. But I fixed that by purchasing the StarTech DisplayPort to DVI Dual Link Active Converter from Amazon. The Lenovo docking station has two display connections and each has either a DVI-D or DisplayPort that is awesome flexibility. Because of the display issue I reduced it by one star. And finally, the Lenovo 3.0 docking station is truly a great docking station and is extremely flexible. I also purchased the monitor stand so that the dock station fits right into it and allows my 20" monitor to sit on top.Lenovo service is TERRIBLE truly APALLING trying to figure out why I could not get the resolution promised took me hours on the phone, being transferred constantly in a circle with absolutely NO HELP in the end! Most of the people I spoke to could barely speak English. As good as the machine is, it is very clear that Lenovo could care less about quality customer support and service. So, if you decide to purchase this laptop to which I highly recommend technically, you may think twice if you are one that relies on customer service.
Best Deals for Lenovo ThinkPad W530 2438 - 15.6" - Core i7 3720QM
I ordered a Lenovo W530 from B&H Photovideo on Thursday, April 25. I had read many of the reviews, and visited the B&H store in NYC to look at the Lenovo computers, and this seemed like the right laptop for me.Thursday night I was thinking about the docking station I would want to use with it. B&H has it here:In doing some searches on the internet, I came across a very unhappy person posting on Amazon about the W530, who told us to do a search for "Lenovo W530 cracks" on Google, which would lead me to the appropriate discussions on the Lenovo website, such as this one:The discussion was started on July, 2012, and refers to a problem that hasn't yet been resolved there are 29 pages of discussion so far. Apparently the motherboard has a defect, and needs to be replaced, and after all this time, they are STILL apparently shipping defective computers!!!!!!
Here is the last response in that forum, dated today:
==================================================
Re: Very loud sound cracks using W530 in docking station
Look, I speak from direct experience. I've been around this industry for close to 30 years in nearly every capacity from field service engineer, to I.T. Director. I have seen the entire spectrum of this business dating back to the days of computers most people have never even heard of. When I can say I've seen it before, I literally have... dozens of times.
This is an Engineering failure, a Quality Assurance Failure, and a failure to own up and REPLACE effected units, NOT repair them by having them stripped apart onsite and attempting to put them back together again like a factory assembled laptop that is in a controlled, static free environment with access to the proper testing and assembly rigs.
I can assure you, modern electronics that are as densely packed as these do not like to be disassembled and reassembled on a kitchen table, office desk, or workbench, and you will never be able to convince me otherwise because like I said, I used to do it.
The meter is running and the longer Lenovo takes to do the right thing the more it's going to cost them in terms of reputation, delays, market share, and other economic dynamics.
It would be far more cost effective to recall ALL affected units, ship NEW REPLACEMENT units, and take the old systems back, repair/refurbish and sell them on secondary markets instead of using your customers as problem remediation.
You're telling me it's more cost effective to send out Engineers on site at $65.00-$125 dollars an hour, plus fuel costs than $35 bucks in shipping a new system to, and getting the old one back from the customer?
Recall and Replace is the ONLY acceptable course of action in my mind.
Lenovo, DO THE RIGHT THING.
==================================================
I called the company I purchased the laptop from, B&H Photovideo, this morning. They told me that if I'm concerned, to not accept the laptop, and it will be returned to them. If I do accept it, and open the box, it's "mine". If it has a problem, I can return it to them for credit towards a duplicate laptop but as I told them, the duplicate will most likely have the same problem! B&H said in that case, the replacement laptop would need to go back to Lenovo (who haven't yet announced any kind of fix). Their final advice was to not accept delivery of the laptop.
I called Lenovo this afternoon, and spoke to a service technician. He told me he knew nothing about this issue, and transferred me to the Sales Dept. The fellow in Sales listened to me, put me on hold for a few minutes, and came back telling me he and his guys know all about the problem, but they don't know which models of the Lenovo laptops suffer from this problem. He told me not all models of Lenovo laptops have the problem. He didn't know which models might not have the problem, so to find out, he transferred me back to Service, where I spoke to "David" in Tech Support. David spent forever telling me that he can't help me with anything until I receive the laptop, and verify that I actually have the problem. I told him that I need to know the situation ahead of time, as I'm not going to open the box unless I know there's a solution. Instead of telling me not to worry, David then told me to return it to the seller. By then David was getting rather upset, and I demanded to be transferred to a supervisor.
After fifteen minutes I got to speak to "Paula" in Warranty Tech Support. She listened to me, and my impression was that without saying it directly, she was telling me to NOT get the laptop. She said if I did, I would only get whatever support I paid for, depending on what kind of warranty I purchased along with the laptop. She very much wanted to get off the phone. (I think she knows exactly what's going on, but company policy prevents her from telling me anything, not even as much as what the guys in Sales Dept. freely told me!!!)
I told her I'm spending $1,500 on what is supposed to be an excellent laptop, from what's supposed to be an excellent company, and rather than telling me that it's a good laptop and that I probably won't have any problems with it, she was all but telling me that it's defective and if I go ahead with the purchase and receive it, it will go through whatever warranty service I bought, all of which I can avoid if I don't buy it.
If Lenovo didn't have defects in the product, she ought to have been telling me that it's a great laptop, and not to worry, and in the rare case that something really was wrong, Lenovo would take care of me.
I think all of the people in Tech Support know exactly what's wrong, that the laptop needs a new Motherboard, but management is hoping people will give up on getting it fixed and keep the laptop anyway (at least until the warranty expires).
In my case, fortunately, I don't yet have the laptop it's still with UPS. I will call B&H again on Monday, and tell them that unless they can figure out a reasonable solution, I'll just let UPS return it to them. It's not the fault of B&H they are unaware of this problem, and they've always treated me fairly.
(I've already read where people are saying the Lenovo X1 Carbon "Touch" is being shipped with a defective screen, because Lenovo wants to sell them as-is as quickly as possible, rather than replacing the screens. I don't know all the details, but having read what was posted, I gave up on any desire to own the X1 Carbon Touch. )
I am really, REALLY upset with Lenovo. They have what sounds like a great product, they get wonderful reviews in the magazines, but with customer support like this, I feel like the last thing I want is to deal with them, even if it means having to buy a product I don't like as much as I like theirs!
What would you guys suggest as a substitute?
Honest reviews on Lenovo ThinkPad W530 2438 - 15.6" - Core i7 3720QM
Good laptop for man. Easy to add memory and SSD. Good choice for students and business man.Not too heavy but the adapter is pretty large.
No comments:
Post a Comment